How can I encourage waste disposal at my event?
Banner

Author Topic: How can I encourage waste disposal at my event?  (Read 673 times)

GemmaRowlands

• Hello I am new here - please say hi.
    • View Profile
How can I encourage waste disposal at my event?
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »
I am definitely hiring an events waste management service to help with my event, however I was wondering about how I would go about making sure that people actually use the bins that are provided, rather than simply putting things on the floor and leaving them there. I would love to hear your ideas, as I don't want to hire lots of bins only to find that nobody bothers to put anything in them.

Mark Haslam

• View Profile
Re: How can I encourage waste disposal at my event?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
You need to make sure that there are enough bins for people to access, as they are unlikely to want to walk a long distance to get to the bins when they need to throw something away. Also ensure that there is plenty of signage available so that they know that there are bins available to use. If people know that they are expected to dispose of their waste in a certain way, you will find that they are more likely to do what you need them to.

allegrif

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 02:12:21 PM »
You need to make sure that there are enough bins for people to access, as they are unlikely to want to walk a long distance to get to the bins when they need to throw something away. Also ensure that there is plenty of signage available so that they know that there are bins available to use. If people know that they are expected to dispose of their waste in a certain way, you will find that they are more likely to do what you need them to.
This. Be direct and to the point. Nobody likes feeling guilty, so if they're explicitly told not to do something most people won't. However, if you never mention it, people will somehow think that it's suddenly acceptable. It's a funny old world.

Andrew Knowles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 01:35:32 PM »
Yeah, that's true. I find that it helps to include posters reminding people of the effect that littering can have on nature, too, as this is something that a lot of people are passionate about, and a cause that people are generally more than willing to help with.

Edward Charette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »
Correct dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW) is important to prevent the spread of chemicals in our soil, air and water. When HHW ends up in landfills, it can leech out and contaminate our soil and groundwater.

Emy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 03:32:51 AM »
Flyers and posters are effective ways of educating the gathering about waste disposal.
I always stand for zero-waste events (limiting the amount of wastes going to the landfills). It is a big step towards reducing the ecological footprint of events. It doesn’t take much to execute this plan effectively.
Have a clear understanding of how many people you will be providing food for, exactly. Thus, one can cut down on the amount of leftover food waste.
Stick to electronic media for invitations and marketing than relying too much on paper.
Rent a Zero-waste station from your locality for waste management services to provide compost and recycling bins. Renting garbage bins will make your event hassle-free, check this article (http://www.gorillabins.ca/blog/large-event-must-haves-why-renting-a-garbage-bin-will-save-you-a-lot-of-hassle/).
Have volunteers stand guard at the waste disposal area to make sure trash goes into the right bin.
Shop compostable, disposable products like cups, utensils, napkins, etc.
A step further offer a carpooling solution among attendees! :-)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:36:08 AM by Emy »

Mr.Landscaper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »
Encouraging Waste Disposal At Any Event is a great thing. Personally, I do not think this will be too hard. Everyone these days is trying to do their part and encouraging this should not be an issue. My Suggestions:

1) Have Someone Volunteer at the Table

2) Offer some form of incentive for recycling their plates etc..

3) Have some posters up and running in different parts of the venue to keep people encouraged.

Here is an article I found recently about environmentally friendly home renovation project. Regardless of Venue, I agree with their message: Environmentally clean disposal is key.

http://dumpsquad.ca/environmentally-friendly-renovation-waste-disposal/

EarthlyMom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 04:11:39 AM »
All of the ideas and suggestions are really great.  But, really you can't expect everybody to do the way we want them to.  However, let's just hope that by providing them awareness every now and then, will make them realize the importance of doing this simple way to help our environment.  Just my two cents.
Let's all face LIFE simply

Find a local contractor

Welcome to the biggest directory of UK waste management companies

Or

COMPARE PRICES FROM LOCAL CONTRACTORS

Compare prices from local companies fast & free

Compare Price

Enter your postcode to compare quotes from leading professionals. We promise to keep your information Safe & Secure. Privacy Policy

Press Esc to close