Do I need a licence to hire a skip?
Banner

Author Topic: Do I need a licence to hire a skip?  (Read 664 times)

Jessica Lake

• Hello I am new here - please say hi.
    • View Profile
Do I need a licence to hire a skip?
« on: July 14, 2016, 10:45:21 AM »
When you hire a skip, do you need a licence, or is this all sorted by the company? I just want to make sure that I am not breaking any laws when I am using the skips!

GemmaRowlands

• View Profile
Re: Do I need a licence to hire a skip?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 11:12:26 AM »
Your skip hire company should cover all of the necessary licenses to be able to deal with the waste, however if you want to place your skip on a road or another public place while it is used, you will need to get a permit from your local council, and it is important to get this sorted as soon as you possibly can when you know that you would like to hire a skip.

Andrew Knowles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »
Only if it's being stored on a public highway. You will also have to display high-vis strips or some form of reflective light as well, so that cars will be able to see it when they drive down your road at night. That one is more of a health and safety thing, but the company should be able to provide you with everything that you need in this respect.

helenstalberg1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »
thats whats on my thought.

darryle

• View Profile
    • House Clearance Hither Green
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:24:00 AM »
You have to make sure the company has waste carrier license if you want to follow the law.

Edward Charette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 05:17:50 AM »
Usually, before putting a skip on any public highway, one should follow skip hire permit.  This is also referred to as skip license. If you do not have a skip permit, your skip can be removed without notice and you will be liable to a fine. But, according to my limited knowledge, if you can afford to place the skip on your private property say driveway or yard, no permit is necessary.
I did check for skip services and found a waste recycling facility in Ontario. They can definitely help you with valuable suggestions.
Check with your local council for skip permits. During normal procedure councils allow the skip hire company to apply for the skip permit on your behalf. In some cases, councils demand the person hiring the skip to order the skip permit directly.
The skip permit process varies with the council. While planning, keep in mind that it takes at least 4 days to arrange a skip permit.
Usually, skip hire companies are responsible for getting skip licenses or skip permits.
You may need a licenses for skips, hippobags and other skip bags.
But remember to put safety lights and markings around skip (reflective markings, traffic cones, night-time safety lamps, name and telephone of the skip company).
Beware, you would be fined if you fail to provide safety lights and markings.

Butterfly88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 03:56:55 AM »
Edward Charette, thanks a lot!
I was looking for that information.

Find a local contractor

Welcome to the biggest directory of UK waste management companies

Or

COMPARE PRICES FROM LOCAL CONTRACTORS

Compare prices from local companies fast & free

Compare Price

Enter your postcode to compare quotes from leading professionals. We promise to keep your information Safe & Secure. Privacy Policy

Press Esc to close