How much of recycled waste is used?
Banner

Author Topic: How much of recycled waste is used?  (Read 853 times)

JamesMurphy

• Hello I am new here - please say hi.
    • View Profile
How much of recycled waste is used?
« on: July 12, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
Where I live, there is currently a huge drive for recycling - but there are stories circulating about the fact that not all of the recycled waste is actually used for anything. I would be interested to hear about this, as I would like to hear about any stats/information that you could give to me. I would be most grateful! Thank you.

GemmaRowlands

• View Profile
Re: How much of recycled waste is used?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 04:54:24 PM »
I think it depends upon the authority, as different areas of the the country have different levels of recycling usage. You should find this information on your local council website. It stands to reason that not all of it can be used, but it is better than nothing for them to have the option to use it if they need to.

Mark Haslam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:55:01 PM »
There is a lot of recycling that can't be used because people don't follow instructions when they are putting them out for collection - so things end up in the wrong place, or with contamination, or any other number of issues. So people can help to maximise the amount of materials that can be recycled by making sure that they always pay great attention to where they are being placed and how they are handled.

Jessica Lake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 06:12:25 AM »
Often, local authorities won't know what will be used until they see how much has been left out by people. They sometimes won't have the staff to sort through absolutely everything, so some might end up on landfill unfortunately, but I do think we are definitely going in the right direction by making the effort and improving the amount that we are recycling in general.

Dave Penlan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »
More than when countrywide recycling started, I know that for a fact! But I think it is still better putting it out, as they are doing everything that they can to use as much of it as possible, and this means that the more we give them, the more chance they have of putting it to good use.

webcrest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
The recycling program operates globally in over 40 countries, regions and territories. It seeks to reduce the environmental impact of IT products, minimize waste going to landfills and help customers conveniently dispose products in an environmental friendly manner. http://www.kingsnorthwastemanagement.co.uk/

Isonomian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »
There has been a lot of press coverage talking about an increase in the amount of rejected recycling. However, even if you take that increase at face value, over 95% of the material sent for recycling is recorded as having been recycled.
The newspapers tend to sensationalise and misrepresent what's going on, and there's an analysis of how they get it wrong (and can be made to withdraw inaccurate stories) here:
http://www.isonomia.co.uk/?p=4424

There's also a discussion of the possible reasons why reported rejects are going up:
http://www.isonomia.co.uk/?p=4633

Hope that helps!

darryle

• View Profile
    • House Clearance Hither Green
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
That is why in all recycle websites they have lists of different items what and how to recycle. So, we will have insight what items is recyclable and not.

helenstalberg1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
this is a good to know thread.

Find a local contractor

Welcome to the biggest directory of UK waste management companies

Or

COMPARE PRICES FROM LOCAL CONTRACTORS

Compare prices from local companies fast & free

Compare Price

Enter your postcode to compare quotes from leading professionals. We promise to keep your information Safe & Secure. Privacy Policy

Press Esc to close