Must businesses recycle?
Banner

Author Topic: Must businesses recycle?  (Read 516 times)

Zarostulus

• Hello I am new here - please say hi.
    • View Profile
Must businesses recycle?
« on: August 25, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »
With home waste I get in trouble if I don't recycle properly. Does the same apply to businesses, or are their larger waste volumes not monitored as much?

Isonomian

• View Profile
Re: Must businesses recycle?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:57:50 PM »
In total, commercial and industrial waste (excluding construction and demolition waste) is roughly equal in tonnage to household waste. Businesses are legally obliged to take all reasonable measures to follow the waste hierarchy, which says that as a priority order, they should:

• Prevent waste
    Enable waste products to be reused
    Recycle
    Send material for energy recovery
    Dispose of material

Businesses in the UK have a duty of care in respect of their waste, and have to obtain a waste transfer note to show that they have passed waste on to a proper collector. On that transfer note they must also declare that they have followed the waste hierarchy. However, in practice the waste hierarchy aspect of the duty of care rules is not well enforced. There's a discussion of the issue here:
http://www.isonomia.co.uk/?p=4149

EarthlyMom

• View Profile
Re: Must businesses recycle?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 04:35:23 AM »
I know this was posted 2016, but, the same issues are recurring every now and then.  Even if for how many times proper waste disposal is asked to be imposed properly most specifically toxic ones but not all companies would tend to comply with this.  Hence, authorities will be asking them for fines for not doing the proper ways.
Let's all face LIFE simply

Find a local contractor

Welcome to the biggest directory of UK waste management companies

Or

COMPARE PRICES FROM LOCAL CONTRACTORS

Compare prices from local companies fast & free

Compare Price

Enter your postcode to compare quotes from leading professionals. We promise to keep your information Safe & Secure. Privacy Policy

Press Esc to close