General Waste Disposal Services
Across the UK, all households are served quite adequately by their local council when it comes to waste disposal service. They provide containers for sorting recyclable items as well as collections for general waste. With more focus on recycling and re-using, the general hope is that the amount we actually send to landfill is reduced over time. Making smarter choices on the products we choose to buy in the first place can also help reduce the impact we have on the environment and the waste we produce.
There are plenty of instances when private waste disposal services are needed. These can include when we are having building work done or clearing out a property for one reason or another. In these cases, there are plenty of skip hire companies and the odd man and van to take advantage of. Most of the time, however, our needs are taken care of by robust local councils who are focused on waste management in a big way.
It’s a different story for commercial premises who often have different requirements. The option to use a private waste disposal service offers the tailored solutions that a business generally needs and which local councils sometimes can’t provide. There are a lot of instances where you might want a company that is specialist in the handling of trade waste, industrial and commercial waste, bio-hazard removal, and even nowadays confidential waste to name just a few.
For businesses, the benefits of dealing with general and more specific waste efficiently means that they operate sustainably. It involves recycling and identifying what can be reused as well as making sure that other waste is handled in the correct way. There are plenty of environmental benefits here of course, including the kudos a company gets from operating in an eco-friendly manner. There can also be benefits from reducing waste handling costs and meeting current, strict legislation.
Finding the right general waste disposal service for your business can be a difficult job as it’s become quite a growth industry in recent years. Ideally you want someone who can handle all your needs and provide a holistic solution rather than having to deal with different waste handling services for different problems. Many waste management companies now do this and will combine recycling with general waste management and increasingly important provisions such as confidential waste handling.
Waste Disposal Law
The legislation and obiligations surrounding the removal of waste from commercial properties have become more complicated over the years, as you might expect. You now have to have a waste transfer note (a kind of invoice) for each load that is moved. There are fines for companies that don’t check whether their waste removal service is licenced and criminal charges can be brought if you use someone who disposes of your waste illegally, for example, by fly tipping, even if you were not directly responsible.
Finding the Right Waste Disposal Service for your Business
There are a number of things you need to do in order to manage your waste disposal more effectively. First of all, there is an onus upon every commercial enterprise to reduce their level of waste as much as possible. Secondly, you need to have a strategy in place for what is going to be designated as waste and who is going to dispose of it.
- Check for companies that offer a range of waste disposal services (unless you have more specific requirements such as hazardous waste handling).
- Make sure you check out their reputation and have sight of their licence for carrying out such work. Your service should be an Environment Agency approved waste carrier.
- Find out if they provide special containers for different kinds of waste and produce waste transfer notes. These act as an audit trail so that if there are any problems you are covered because you have the right documentation and can refer back to it.
- Check that the you and your waste disposal company are compliant with the waste hierarchy: re-use, recycle, recover, dispose.
- If your waste is being taken to landfill, then make sure that you know where as the contractor must have an Exemption Certificate or Environmental Permit to dump there (make sure you take a copy of this and keep it with your records).
- And finally, if you are a small business, don’t think that you are exempt from local and national legislation and general waste disposal. It applies to all businesses irrespective of size or location.
Finding the right waste disposal service for your business is now easier than ever. All you need to do is search our database of contractors in your area and see what kinds of waste they handle.