Roll On Roll Off
If you have large amounts of waste to handle, roll on roll off containers are the perfect solution. These are special high volume skips that are designed to be loaded onto a truck when full. If you visit any council recycling facility you will find a number of roll on roll off containers for different types of waste from wood and metal to garden waste and builder’s rubble.
Roll on roll off containers are best suited for large operations or big construction or demolition jobs. A normal size container will hold about 20 cubic yards but can go up to around 40 cubic yards and can handle a wide range of waste including household appliances, concrete and bricks.
What Can Roll On Roll Off Containers Be Used for?
Roll on roll off containers are suitable where quantity is important rather than what type of material is being collected or recycled. Most hire companies will supply containers for the following:
- Municipal Solid Waste: Any dry waste that is considered non-hazardous (excludes waste such as WEEE, paint and paint tins, chemicals and sometimes plasterboard).
- Dry Mixed Recycle Waste: The usual dry waste such as paper, cardboard, metal and plastic.
- Construction and Demolition Waste: Building waste such as wood, metal, concrete, glass, soils and plasterboard on its own.
- Commercial and Industrial Waste: Includes wood, plastic, metal, textiles and other non-hazardous waste.
- Garden Waste
The Benefits of Roll On Roll Off Containers
- Ideal for handling large quantities of waste, cutting down transportation costs of moving many much smaller skips or containers.
- You can opt for enclosed containers that can hold dangerous substances such as asbestos, ensuring materials are stored securely.
- Suitable for general waste as well as heavy construction and demolition waste in large volumes.
Types of Roll On Roll Off Containers
There are a number of different types of roll on roll off containers available for hire. The typical container is low level which makes it easier to load waste onto them and is suitable for most construction and demolition waste. There are also enclosed containers that have more security and are suitable for construction materials such asbestos. Finally, you can also hire containers that have inbuilt mechanical compactors for material such as garden and paper waste.
Hiring a Roll On Roll Off Container
The criteria for hiring a roll on roll off container are similar to those applied to normal skip hire. The company you choose should be registered with the Environment Agency and provide a full audit trail for the waste being disposed of, including waste transfer notes.
You also need to make sure that the area where you are having a roll on roll off container is suitable – these are heavy pieces of kit and you need to make sure that the ground on which they are being placed is not likely to be damaged or lead to the container sinking into the soil. When the container is loaded, it is not generally lifted off the ground but is dragged up onto the truck or lorry so there needs to be enough space to carry out this manoeuvre.