Trade Waste Disposal Services
Businesses and organisations across the UK require licenced trade waste disposal services that can meet a variety of needs. This can often mean forming a partnership with the local council who will be able to handle some of those requirements or it could entail, hiring a private contractor who specialises in a particular area, for example, handling confidential waste.
Many businesses can have a combination waste disposal services depending on what industry they are in. A business such as a supermarket will have a vastly different approach to trade waste disposal compared to a builder who will definitely spend more time on skip hire than food waste. A veterinary practice could be more concerned with clinical waste and a print works will have provision for disposing of toner and print cartridges.
Private trade waste disposal services need to be fully compliant with the latest legislation, including the issuing of waste transfer notes when they handle each load and working with companies to make sure that all transactions are tracked. This paperwork needs to be kept by the business as a way of auditing how they deal with their waste and can be asked for by organisations such as the local council and the environment agency. Failure to keep up to date with waste disposal documentation can lead to fines and, in some cases, criminal prosecution.
There may be a number of different specialist waste disposal services that your business could need, including:
Finding the Right Trade Waste Disposal Service
The first thing you need to do is find out what you need a waste disposal service for. If you are an ordinary office it might be just for the usual suspects such as paper, card and plastics. Restaurants will have the need for food disposal as a priority and a research organisation may need hazardous waste to be handled. Many waste disposal services nowadays offer an audit which looks at the entire needs of a business and what processes need to be put in place for effective waste management.
- Check online for a trade waste disposal service that meets your needs in your local area.
- The service you choose needs to be properly licensed for handling waste and you should check their credentials carefully before you decide to sign a contract with them.
- A good company should provide suitable containers and storage facilities for the kind of waste that you want to dispose of. These can include covered paper bins or more specialist containers for handling things like hazardous or biological waste.
- If you do have waste that is going to end up at landfill or incinerated, ensure that your contractor has the appropriate exemption certificate or environment agency permit to do so.
- Even if you are a small business, you need to ensure that you choose a licenced contractor who is allowed to dispose of your waste. Choosing a man with a van or a local company without the right sanction can mean that you are liable for criminal charges and the potential of a large fine.
You can explore our database for licenced trade waste disposal services in your post code here.