Lorry Drivers & Waste Disposal Staff Recruitment
With so many different strands to the waste disposal industry, it’s no surprise that the need for qualified lorry drivers and other staff has been on the increase in recent times. According to the Guardian, the recycling industry alone has the potential to create 10,000 new jobs by 2020, largely in part due to the rise of the circular economy where waste is considered as potential product and not sent to landfill.
There are wide number of jobs available in the waste management industry from regional and site managers to recycling plant operatives and lorry, HGV and plant machinery operators. Many staff recruitment agencies now have special online sections that deal exclusively with the employment of people in the waste industry. For those who are committed to a greener life, developing a career in the waste management sector makes a lot of sense.
Working in the Waste Disposal Industry
With plenty of opportunities for great careers in the waste disposal sector, it’s no surprise that there are many people applying for jobs in this area. Waste management and recycling in particular is a growth employment market and there are a range of opportunities for progression for those who want a clear career path. The industry development has also given rise to some employment agencies that are specifically aimed at the green industries and waste disposal in particular.
Some of the most popular specialist waste disposal staff recruitment agencies are:
- Redkite Waste: Provides professional recruitment on a global scale working closely with businesses and job seekers to provide one of the best online sites for the industry.
- CIWM Jobs: Handles everything from consultancy and hazardous waste management to recycling operatives, the site gets nearly 2,000 visitors a day from companies and potential employees.
- Allen & York: Deal with recruitment from all aspects of the waste management industry including waste from energy and sales. Also has a good online help desk that can give you advice on the current state of the market.
- Waste Recruit: Offers a national recruitment service and includes most areas of waste disposal as well as key jobs in the renewable energy sector.
The major online recruitment agencies such as Reed and Monster also have their share of waste disposal employment opportunities.
Waste Disposal Qualifications
Waste management provides thousands of jobs that cover the whole range of qualifications from those who have none to those with degrees and master’s degrees. HGV and lorry drivers in the waste disposal industry need a HGV Class 2 licence to operate. There are also various online and local courses that you can undertake if you want to gain qualifications in this area that give you an advantage when applying for a job. The waste management sector is especially crying out for graduates who can take part in developing the industry and fill management posts. Many universities are beginning to include waste management degrees including Northampton and Cranfield.
Types of Jobs in the Waste Management Industry
- Commercial and domestic waste disposal driver
- Landfill labourer
- Equipment operator (heavy and small machinery)
- Collection manager
- Waste technician
- Waste project manager
- Customer service operative/supervisor
- Waste management administrators
Other jobs that you would also associate with any business are also included in the waste industry such as accountancy, sales and IT management.
If you want to be a lorry driver for a waste disposal companies or would like a career in any other sector of the industry, one option is to search our comprehensive database for more information and check out waste businesses in your local area.